Portcullis v. Huntly CC - Saturday, 14 June, 2014

Toss was won by Portcullis, who chose to bat.

Portcullis : 101 all out (10).

Huntly CC : 102 for 5 (30).

Portcullis Humped by Huntly!!

Match Seven of the 2013-2014 season saw Portcullis come up against, to the Green Caps, a relatively unknown Huntly.

Due to fixture congestion, this fixture was switched to Sheddocksley 1 as Crescent and Academy had been awarded first dibs at Duthie Park.

The previous time the sides met in 2011, saw a young Huntly side win by 4 wickets that then was superbly marshalled by Steve Shorten whilst his son Connor tore through the Portcullis side that day with figures of 4-21.

With both Shortens now moved onto pastures new at Mannofield, Portcullis were in the dark at what type of Huntly side would turn up.

Recent form would indicate that Portcullis would go into this game as perhaps slight favourites having won their last three games. In contrast Huntly had lost their previous three games.

Having won the toss for the first time this season, skipper Dave Mitchell took the opportunity to bat first. The weather was overcast with a damp dank drizzle hanging in the air. Portcullis had played against Academy earlier in the season at Sheddocksley in similar conditions and found that, should the wicket deteriorate as it did that day, batting first would be of a distinct advantage.

Portcullis opened with a new pairing of Muhammad Farooq and Sanjoy Deb. For Huntly it would be the pairing of J. Mitchell and L. Ferguson.

It would be a baptism of fire for Sanjoy Deb as he was making his debut for the Portcullis side. He had looked promising at nets so it was a calculated decision to have him open with the more experienced Farooq.

It was Huntly who struck first however. J. Mitchell having Muhammad Farooq trapped lbw with his second ball of his second over. Portcullis 1-1.

Dave Mitchell was at the crease for what would be the battle of the Mitchells. Portcullis’s Dave struck first blood with a well-timed two from the first ball faced. Huntly’s J. Mitchell ended the contest two balls later as an away-seamer had Mitchell prodding forward and an outside edge had the Portcullis skipper walking back to the kit bags. Debutant Sanjoy Deb found himself still at the crease having outlasted both his Captain and Vice-Captain!

Portcullis 3-2. A poor start.

Abdullah Khan joined Deb at the crease. The pair battled as they tried to bring Portcullis back into the match. Deb, having opened up his account for Portcullis with a pair of well placed two’s, hit a splendid drive through point for a glorious four.

Portcullis got their score up to 12 before J. Mitchell struck again. He bowled Deb with a Yorker that was swinging back from outside leg stump to roll along Deb’s pads to bowl him. Portcullis 12-3.

Kannan Vijayakrishnan was next to the crease. He stood and watched as Abdullah Khan struck out, taking the game to Huntly as Portcullis desperately tried to get themselves back into the match. In Ferguson’s third over, Khan took a liking to him, hitting a six and two fours as he took sixteen from said over.

Alas J. Mitchell was not finished as he grabbed his fourth wicket, yorking Vijayakrishnan as he got himself tangled up trying to dig the ball out.

Portcullis 28-4. Panic stations!

Dave Elrick was next to the crease. With him came a calm as he dug in to help the Portcullis cause. With Khan blazing away at the other end, the pair got the score to 42 before Mitchell struck again.

His fifth wicket was perhaps his best. An absolute pearler of a yorker did for dangerman Khan, bowling him all ends up.

Portcullis 42-5. Still panic stations!

With the fifth wicket in the bag Mitchell was taken from the attack as Huntly went to giving some of their young players an opportunity. If the departure of J. Mitchell was meant to give Portcullis some respite, it did not. His replacement at the Sports Centre end, M. Allan showed himself to be an excellent leg-spinner. His first two balls in particular, showing excellent turn and bounce. No mean feat on a damp Sheddocksley wicket.

Rob Owen was at the crease next. Joining Elrick, who at this stage was looking comfortable, the pair put on a partnership of 21. Owen was the man to go. A drive off the indifferent bowling of Reid, whom had earlier replaced Ferguson at the Bucksburn end, went towards deep mid-off where Jordan Squire held onto a difficult catch. It was good cricket by the young Huntly pair.

Portcullis 63-6.

The promising Shovon Mostofa was at the crease next. The pair added a further 13 runs before Elrick fell off the bowling of S. Squire. Collinson joined Mostofa next and the pair took the score onto 86 before Mostofa too fell to S. Squire.

Squire’s bowling action was reminiscent to the South African spinner Paul Adams though not as eccentric. It is unique to the Grades. It is good to see that Huntly are still retaining their ability to bring on promising youngsters and within that they are allowing them to express themselves with their own individuality.

However back to the present. Portcullis 86-8. The tail had wagged a little but Portcullis were still in deep doo-doo. It appears there was plenty of doo-doo as one of the Huntly fielders got some on his trousers and had to cut material off his whites to dispose of it.

Maybe it would bring him luck!

Pete Miles joined Collinson at the crease. The pair brought the Portcullis total to three figures before Collinson went bowled by the tricky left arm seam of Tait, who had replaced the promising leg-spinner Allan.

Portcullis 101-9.

Simon Winstanley was last man in. The pair did not last long as Huntly’s Whyte cleverly stumped Miles from the off-spin of Huntly’s Captain Rufus Gandhi.

Portcullis 101 all out. If they were slight favourites at the start of the match, Portcullis were large outsiders now. Abdullah Khan top scored with 23 whilst Richard Collinson, Shovon Mostofa and Rob Owen all got into double figures with 12, 12 and 11 respectively. It was a disappointing display by the Portcullis side though.

For Huntly J. Mitchell finished with excellent figures of 5-8 from 5 overs. Young S. Squire, with a tidy performance of 2-13, backed him up whilst Gandhi, Reid and Tait all took a wicket apiece.

After a brief tea the teams went out for the Huntly innings. Portcullis would open the bowling with Mitchell and Farooq whilst Huntly would open the batting with Clark and J. Squire.

Portcullis struck first. Mitchell induced the dangerous J. Squire to prod one into the mid-wicket area where Owen dived forward to take an excellent catch. Huntly 8-1.

This brought Muir to the crease. It became apparent he was in no mood to hang around. He dispatched the ball with aplomb. He hit Mitchell for three fours as his introduction to the game promptly increased the run rate.

Mitchell was not finished however. In his sixth over he was to do for Clark. Clark skied on towards cover where Khan was on hand to take a good catch.

Huntly 25-2.

It was time for a change of bowling. Farooq, although tidy, had little joy so he was taken off for Owen.

The change brought instant results. Owen’s second ball did for the dangerous Muir knocking out his leg stick. In his defence the ball perhaps stayed a little low.

Huntly 25-3. Was there a glimmer of hope for Portcullis?

Alas no.

Muir’s departure brought Ferguson to the crease. Owen's first ball to him was dispatched with disdain over square leg for six. If Muir accelerated the run-rate then Ferguson rocketed it!

Along with Whyte the pair made inroads into the Portcullis total. In the meantime Owen captured his second wicket when he got Whyte caught behind by Vijayakrishnan for 12.

Huntly 58-4.

Ferguson, with Mitchell at the crease alongside him, continued the onslaught. The pair took the score to 78 before Ferguson was next to go.

Having reached 35 in next to no time, Ferguson was to fall on his own sword. Winstanley, carted for two sixes, reverted to right arm round the wicket pomp. Ferguson charged Winstanley. As a result he failed to make contact with the ball and was stumped by Vijayakrishnan.

Huntly 78-5.

The skipper Rufus Gandhi was at the crease next. With no further alarms Huntly cruised to the winning 102 total.

A disappointing result for Portcullis but one they could have no complaints. They were well and truly beaten in this match.

For Portcullis Rob Owen had finished with 2-22 whilst skipper Dave Mitchell returned with figures of 2-45. The other wicket to fall went to Simon Winstanley 1-15.

For Huntly a quick fire salvo of 35 by Ferguson was backed up by 20 not out by J. Mitchell.

Muir (16) and Whyte (12) were the other players to get to double figures.

Next up for Portcullis a home match to new league leaders Academy.


Abdullah Khan for his 23 and a well taken catch.


An under-par performance of the match with the bat. Too many camel toes out there!!


Rob Owen seems to be hogging this one at the moment. Another splendid catch by the Lancashire hotpot!!


Jayaraj Raj bringing his 3month old son Iniyann to show him to us all. Immediately signed on S forms! The cute little fellow was the wisest of all of us. He kept his eyes shut throughout the match!!


J. Mitchell. 5-8 in 5 overs and 20 not out with the bat. No contest. It was also encouraging to see Huntly still produce youngsters of decent quality especially the two spinners. They should be applauded for the quality of their youth development.

Sunday, 15 June, 2014

Innings of Portcullis

#NameR46How OutBowlerKeeperFielderComments
11S.Winstanley0Not out
Leg Byes0
No Balls7

Innings of Huntly CC

#NameR46How OutBowlerKeeperFielderComments
6J.Mitchell20Not out
7R.Gandhi7Not out
8M.TaitDid not bat
9C.ReidDid not bat
10M.AllanDid not bat
11S.SquireDid not bat
Leg Byes0
No Balls1