AGSFP 2nds v. Portcullis - Saturday, 19 August, 2017

Toss was won by Portcullis, who chose to bat.

Portcullis : 58 all out (4).

AGSFP 2nds : 63 for 2 (30).

AGSFP 2nds gain promotion with comfortable win.

The final fixture of Portcullis’s 2017 Grade Three season saw them take the short trip to Rubislaw to take on AGSFP 2nds in a (sort of) derby between the two City Centre clubs.

Although the phrase derby could be used, it would be one on a totally friendly basis as the teams have always enjoyed healthy relations throughout the years.

The match had greater significance to AGSFP 2nds than to Portcullis. Portcullis’s opponents had to win or gather 14 points to guarantee promotion to Grade Two. Portcullis, following the previous weekend’s heavy defeat to Dunecht, were perfectly placed in fourth spot – the exact centre of this seven team league. They had pride to play for and it would be hoped that they could.

Shovon Mostofa won the toss against his AGSFP’s counterpart and elected to bat first. It was to be the only battle Portcullis would win all day.

Portcullis opened with Dave Forbes and Chris Owens whilst AGSFP 2nds opened their bowling with Faraj Monnapillai and Kieran Whyte.

Things did not start well when handy opener Chris Owens found himself bowled from the lively opening spell of Monnapillai. Portcullis 2-1.

Next man in was Kannan Vijayakrishnan who joined Forbes at the crease. He did not hang about long. A drive at a lively Whyte out swinger found the edge. He swung hard thus making the ball fly into the gully region where Whyte’s bowling partner Monnapillai was on hand and quick of reflex to hang onto a fantastic catch. Portcullis 5-2.

Next man in was Dave Mitchell to join Dave Forbes at the crease.

Thanks to the tight accurate bowling of Whyte and Monnapillai and the athletic fielding of the AGSFP’s side, it took 11 overs for Portcullis to stagger into double figures. It came at a cost though, the opener Forbes next man to go. A fine full length delivery saw the burly Portcullis opener trapped lbw to the impressive Monapillai. Portcullis 10-3.

Further gloom for the City Centre Green Caps was instantaneous as skipper Shovon Mostofa came and went, misjudging his drive to another full length Monnapillai delivery. This time the skipper returning to the clubhouse by the way of being bowled. Portcullis 10-4.

If Whyte and Monnapillai were by way of having their own personal contest of who could get the most Portcullis wickets, the young Monnapillai was leading the way 3 wickets to 1 against his more experienced partner Whyte.

In the meantime Owen Thorpe was next man in to join Mitchell at the crease. Stability was required now.

Whyte was not having this though. The Portcullis score limped to 15 when Whyte grabbed his second wicket of the afternoon, bowling Mitchell round his legs with a leg side corker of a delivery that swung back in to dislodge Mitchell’s off-pole. Portcullis 15-5.

Jake Dawson came to join Thorpe at the crease. The pair took the score onto 24 before Dawson’s defences were breeched by the now rampant Whyte as he made the wicket score 3-3 between the AGSFP 2nds bowling pair. Portcullis 24-6.

24-6 soon became 26-7 as Richard Collinson came and went as he was Whyte’s fourth victim (4-3!) as he too was bowled by the AGSFP’s bowler.

This brought Ross McKenzie to the crease as thankfully the 8th wicket partnership brought some form of respectability to the Portcullis score. 20 runs were added before McKenzie fell for 6, bowled by new bowler Elia Gubbala. McKenzie having the consolation of scoring his six runs with one scoring shot! Portcullis 46-8.

Andy Phillip was the next man in. He enjoyed a little flurry down the order, grabbing two quick boundaries in a ninth wicket partnership of 12 before he fell. He too bowled by Gubbala for 9. Portcullis 58-9.

Last man in was Portcullis legend Bob Adie. As is the way of things, the well set batsman, in this case Owen Thorpe decided to open his shoulders as he witnessed the last man coming to the crease.

In a day where the force was not with Portcullis, Thorpe’s first shot of aggression in this partnership saw him smash one from the bowling of Agha Haider towards the area where McKinney was patrolling. The result – McKinney showing good awareness and safe hands to take a fine catch. This was fitting as AGSFP 2nds had fielded impressively as they had bowled. And they bowled bloody well! Thorpe gone for 14 and Portcullis gone for 58 all out.

For Portcullis Owen Thorpe was the only batsman to reach double figures with a knock of 14 (1x4). AGSFP 2nds had bowled and fielded splendidly. Kieran Whyte led the way with excellent figures of 4-13 from his 12 overs. Faraj Monnapillai backed Whyte up with fine figures of 3-3 from 8 overs. Agha Haider (2-10) and Elia Gubbala (1-21) shared the remainder of the wickets.

After a fine tea it was the turn of AGSFP 2nds post their reply. Leading the way for them with the willow would be John Lord and C. McKinney. For Portcullis it would be the usual pairing of Dave Mitchell and Ross McKenzie who would share the new ball.

McKenzie brought early hope for Portcullis when he bowled McKinney with an inswinger in his first over and then repeated the same dismissal to remove the dangerous Ally MacDonald. This had AGSFP 2nds 5-2 and brought hope to Portcullis that they could at least tidy up the size of the defeat coming towards them.

This turn of events brought Leston D’ Costa to the crease to join the diligent John Lord.

And that was it for Portcullis.

Lord stayed solid throughout the innings, nudging and pushing regular ones and twos on his way to a fine knock of 18 not out.

The AGSFP 2nds innings was lit up by the wonderful batting technique displayed by the young D’ Costa. He cantered his way to an effortless 31 not out. His knock had 2 fours before he finished the innings and the match with a marvellous six to seal promotion to Grade Two for the Grammar boys.

For Portcullis Ross McKenzie was the only bowler to get wickets and he finished with figures of 2-12. In Portcullis’s defence they did make the Grammar work for their runs. It was in the thirtieth over before AGSFP’s got past the Portcullis score. Bearing in mind it took Portcullis 37.3 overs to get their runs, it was a tough day to score.


OWEN THORPE takes the honours for his knock of 14, anchoring the innings. It could have been a lot, lot worse had he not. Ross McKenzie deserves a mention for his six and two wickets.


In a day of bowling domination, the marvellous batting display of LESTON D’COSTA takes the honours. His knock of 31 not out was pristine of technique. He is one of eight impressive youngsters nominated for the Grades Junior Award of 2017. He would be a worthy winner. He should be pushing for the Grade One Champions next season should he continue to bat like that.

Kieran Whyte deserves merit for his fine bowling spell that brought returns of 4-13 whilst Faraj Monnapillai would be happy with his days work with figures of 3-3 with the cherry. John Lord also deserves a mention for a fine 18 not out.

Thursday, 07 September, 2017

Innings of Portcullis

#NameR46How OutBowlerKeeperFielderComments
11B.Adie0Not out
Leg Byes1
No Balls0

Innings of AGSFP 2nds

#NameR46How OutBowlerKeeperFielderComments
1J.Lord18Not out
4L.D Costa3121Not out
5J.EaglesDid not bat
6D.SelvarajDid not bat
7A.SoodDid not bat
8A.HaiderDid not bat
9E.GubbalaDid not bat
10F.MonnapillaiDid not bat
11K.WhyteDid not bat
Leg Byes1
No Balls0